Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Friday, April 06, 2007

4/6/07 Friday AM. I've posted all my outstanding pics and just finished my write ups on the photo gallery. Woke up nice and toasty, checked the temp on the website. It was 32 degrees. Stepped outside last night before going to bed and it was snowing! Haven't peeked out yet to see if there was any accumulation. I'm actually quite comfortable, considering the gear I'm wearing! Tonight and tomorrow night will be a real test. Lows below 20 both nights predicted.

Couple of touristy things on my agenda today...Quigley Castle and a trip downtown to the train place.

Quigley Castle was built by a woman who could not stand the little three room home she and her husband were living in. As the story goes, she and their children tore the house down one day while the old man was at work! She designed the house herself and they built every bit of it except for windows, from timber and rock on their property. Windows glass was scarce and they lived in the house for several years without any windows...just covering up the openings to keep the weather out. It was during the depression and materials were hard to come by. Apparently the really unique feature of the design was a 4 foot earthen boundary inside the house against the outer walls, in which she planted hundreds of flowers and plants, some of which now reach to the second story!

The place has been maintained by their grandchildren as a tourist attraction.

More later...for some reason I'm starting to feel the cold. Time to get out of the tent, get a bite to eat and hit the road again.

later,

Bill

3 comments:

jane said...

Those are great photos! Have someone now and then take a pic of you in the photo sooos we can see you,too! It's cold here also. Have all the heaters going,warm cloths and Darke day inside. Don't give up it will get warmer next week. Be careful with that heater!

Bill's Excellent Adventure! said...

YJane, your right...I guess once in a while I need my pic taken to prove I was actually here!

Well, went to the Majestic Caverns today instead of Quigley's Castle and the Train Depot. I had a tour guide, Mike, all to myself! Nice fella and very knowledgeable about this sort of thing. We took our time and I lost track of time but we probably spent 1 1/2 hrs in the cavern. I'll post those pics and some narrative hopefully by tonight. ps. there is a pic of me in that batch.

Got back to camp and my hermedically sealed tent was no more. The winds are quite strong and it blew the entire tarp off! Man was I upset! Took me about an hour to maneuver that thing back into place as every time I attempted to hoist it it turned into a sail. Managed to stake part of it down and use some really big rocks for other anchors but I am still short of enough to feel secure.

I'm sitting here wondering how long it will stay on this time. Heard out of Branson they are expecting 30 mph winds! I think the tent can handle it but I'm not sure the tarp or I can!
I'm being careful with the heater. I unplug it when ever I leave and make sure its supported firmly when I use it.

Well, let me go outside and see how my tarp is doing...
chat later! Winds are blowing fircely right now!

Bill

jane said...

Hey! Maybe its time to take a break and do the hot tib and room service?? I can't imagine it snowing and rain, wind and a tent. I am too old for all that!You are steller! Well the Drake is gone and now its some rest and some work. It's too cold to plant guess we will do indoor things.Looking forward to you in the photos. Will check that now.