Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

4/3/07 Tues. Well, I thought I better put some things down before I forget them. I'll update this later tonight.

Weather forecasts. The weather station that reports to the weather sites is apparently 30 miles to the west (Rogers, AR) and at a lower elevation. I asked a local about the differences between Rogers and here and she said they often do not get the same weather here. So, perhaps my predictions of rain and T-Storms for today won't materialize. I will say one thing...it's really windy here at base camp. The ole tent is just shaking. Talked to a city gardener this morning at one of the many mineral springs in this area and he said when he was a kid they would get snow as deep as the hood of your car. He said this last season, like most before it, they only had about 1/2 ". That's quite a dramatic decrease. The temps are supposed to get down to or below freezing most of the balance of the week, but who knows. I'm not taking any chances though. I got the gear to stay warm. It may be uncomfortable when I get up in the AM but I'll make it through the night okay.

Crescent Hotel - Took some pics of the oldest and most prominent feature in town, the Crescent Hotel build in 1880 or was it 1883. Took pics outside and inside, chatted with some employees about the place. I'll write more about this place on the photos page.

This is one amazing little town of 2275. The historic downtown is actually on, I think, three levels built right into the cliffs. Houses are packed in like sardines all over the mountain sides. A lady at the Hotel mentioned she displays and sells crafts from about 250 local artisans. If you are into the creative side, this looks like a place to be. Drove around a one lane road just a block off downtown, past Carrie Nation's Home (you remember...the temperance lady). How they ever got these places built in the first place is beyond me.

Next took a drive. travelled west on rt 62 to the Beaver Dam on the White River (why they call it Beaver when its on the White river is beyond me, especially when there is also a Beaver River.. Stopped at a scenic overlook(called Inspiration Point) and took some pics and a video clip. Awesome view. I hope the pics do it justice. Got to a cross roads called Gateway and headed North on 37 for a few miles then a right onto 112 (we're now in MO that's how close to the border Eureka Springs is) then through a portion of Mark Twain's National Forest. Before getting to this point the landscape changed dramatically and was pretty flat. It's like you go 1/2 mile and the mountains disappear!

Anyway, through Mark Twain's Forest then into one called Roaring River NP. All of a sudden this tremendous valley opens up. What a grand site. (Sorry, as usual I'm on a winding road that demands my attention with little room anywhere to pull over. Not much water to speak of in Roaring River however. same goes for these famous mineral springs. I haven't found one that has any water in it! They must be hurting up here for rain bad. Anyway, made my way back to a place called Eagle Rock, turned back south on 23 and was about 11 miles from Eureka Springs.

Not sure of the mileage for this little trip but it took about two hours to make this loop.

I had breakfast at this little pancake house in town this AM before driving around. The waitress, about 55 I would guess was quite gracious when she found out I was getting my bearings. She pulled out maps and explained about a dozen things to see and routes to drive. I'll have to do some more investigat'n.

It's beginning to heat up inside the tent. Have quite decided to take a nap (it is 2:30 CST after all!), do my laundry, or take another side trip, perhaps to a cavern this lady told me about. I wanted to go see this AR Air Museum in Fayetteville (about 45 miles) but I'm thinking of putting that trip off until I leave and on my way to OK City. Downtown is so fascinating...I'll probably want to walk the streets here first. They have this parking system where , I guess it is an honor system. You put $5 in an envelope and drop it off in the box provided and you get 3 hours parking. I'd imagine you have to indicate somehow what slot your taking up on the envelope.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll probably spend this evening processing pics and posting them on the site.

ps. Rick, I saw you blog on the other blog and I'll do my thing a little later.

See ya! Chat later!

Bill

No comments: