Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

3/6/07 - Well, my daily routine seems to be to go to bed around 10:30-11:00 pm, wake up at 3 am with the TV on, stay up messing with the blog, photos or website and watch a little TV. Go back to bed about 6 am and sleep till around 9am. Get up, clean up, make breakfast, watch morning news (the news seems to be less important to me lately), go to a meeting around noon, take a sandwich with me then spend the afternoon playing tourist! Back to the room again for a nap and wake up around 6:30 or 7 pm. Spend the next few hours preparing dinner, processing pictures from the day and posting them to the web and writing the blog entry for the day. Really exciting (but it beats working!) It's a mix of my "old life" in Zebulon and the new one I am fashioning for myself.

Today visited an old confederate cemetery called the Mt. Olivet Cemetery just a couple of miles from and in sight of downtown Nashville. It's a very large setting and some really old tombs and monuments (see slide show for more detail). It is still an active cemetery.

My original intent was to get to a Train Museum and the TN State Museum. Well, after about an hour of driving through the downtown area, I could not locate either. Stop and ask someone you might well ask? Well, I did stop at a store on the really seedy side of town where all the scrap metal and steel is recycled...dirty, grimy. Found I was way off the mark. A nice plump lady behind the counter and an old drunk trying to give me directions. Nice place, dirty, greasy and bars on the windows to keep the "rats" out at night! Well, the traffic was so bad I didn't feel I could safely stop as the streets are so narrow and packed.

So, I was getting hungry and decided to just head back to the room about 10 miles out and my butt was sore, patience wearing thin. I was about to the area where I took the pictures of the downtown skyline, that I saw a really big sign for the Train Museum. It was already close to 3 pm (when they close and they will be open again Thursday.) I'll try again another day!

As far as the TN State Museum, the reason I never saw a building or sign so labeled is that it is part of another center, called the Polk Center! Just my luck! There is also a Military Museum that I'll visit when I finally get settled in to downtown. Figured that one out after I got back on line and looked at the directions! Always salvage something good from a disaster, right? Well, I now know downtown Nashville like the back of my hand!

If one takes a close look at the blend of old and new architecture in Nashville, while they are in striking contrast the city, at least during the day, is quite a vibrant place. Looking forward to another trip to town and taking a walking tour.

Check my web links page as there are two Civil War sites referred to me that I am putting on my schedule. One is north toward Clarksville, the other one south toward Murfreesboro. Their web sites are posted there as well.

Later!

No comments: