Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Monday, April 23, 2007

4/23/07 Mon. - I'll probably update this posting later today. Just learned some neat stuff from the owner I want to get down before I forget! Felt like writing a little. Doing home chores like sweeping out the tent, washing clothes and dishes. While waiting for my clothes to wash, I chatted a while with the owner of Kettle. His name is Lee.

Lee was a professional photographer for 22 years, retired and couldn't stand not doing something so he started working here and bought the place about 5 years ago. His only remaining steady "gig" is working the Indy 500 each year. Here are some facts I bet you don't know about the behind the scenes at the 500.

They keep 5 still photographers on staff year round. Lee comes in under contract for May. Each has an assignment. His usual assignment are the garages and pits during the month for time trials. During the race he is usually goes for a ride in the helicopter taking all the airiel stills.

One year when they couldn't get in the air due to weather, he worked what is called the "trench". It's that area by the wall that separates the race track from the pits. He says he could, if he wanted to, reach out and touch the cars traveling at 220 mph. One the other side, drivers are coming out of the pits. It's the most dangerous assignment there. He wears knee pads because he is on his knees most of the race. He wears a headset, so he usually has about a 4 lap notice when a driver is pulling in. They pull all photographers off the track for the start, including the trench...it's just too dangerous.

On weekends during May, they bring in an additional 10 still photographers. On race day, there are an additional 10. So that is about 26 still photographers covering the month and race day.

I asked him about film verse digital at the 500. He said about 3 years ago probably 20% were using digital, this last year it was 100% Reason? The ability to finally make large enough prints/posters that look like a film version. He himself only switched about 3 years ago for that reason. I saw his camera the other day at the carving event. He uses a Canon SLR with one huge lens!

Am I jealous of his equipment? Nope. A camera that good requires you know what you are doing! Composition, etc. My Panasonic FZ-20 does the job I have asked it to do. It's the right amount of camera for my skill level and pocketbook.

Am I jealous of his Indy 500 assignments...you bet!

Talk at ya later!

No comments: