Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Thursday, December 27, 2007

This entry covers 12/08/07 through 12/27/07
12/08/07

This is another normal day punctuated with a rather bizarre encounter with a couple of campers this afternoon. Mike, the 80-mile per day bicycle rider, another guy and Richard were talking about economic policies, interest rates, etc. I slid into the conversation after a few minutes and asked about the dollar and the impact of Hugo Chavez’ decision to disconnect from the US currency standard.

After this other guy, who apparently was an investment pro, made some statement that it really would not effect the dollar worldwide, Mike chimed in with a bizarre comment. He said something about how he joyed in Hugo Chavez trashing Bush in his UN speech. I did not go ballistic. After hearing this other guy agree with Mike I felt my blood pressure rising and I turned and abruptly walked away and mumbled something about “I can’t believe this nonsense.” The investor guy said something about “you must be a Republican.” I responded with, ”got that right” and went back to my truck. Mike stopped by my truck and said he hoped he hadn’t offended me. I replied, “you offended this country and we will just have to agree to disagree.” That was the end of the conversation.

12/16/07

This is Sunday. Still at Oliver Lee SP outside Alamogordo, I drove down the 4-mile access road to a side road to get a good signal. After making a call to Rick and leaving messages for several others, I looked up to find a Deputy sheriff walking up from behind me! Turned out one of the neighbors out here thought I was suspicious looking, and according to the sheriff, I was seen down along the road several times. I told him I was down here last weekend to make calls, like I was doing now but that was all. He checked my driver’s license and wrote down my name and number. He walked off and I drove back to the campsite, just wanting to clear that area. I told him I was traveling the west, had been out for 10 months in a five year journey and that I was from NC.

He didn’t say much and left. So did I!

I tried to call RJ using the digital roam signal after I returned to camp. I got through but after a couple of minutes the signal dropped out on me! The Deputy said this was a “dead” area for reception.

I have misplaced my WiFi card and decided I might as well upgrade to a Verison or a Sprint dedicated internet card. It would cost about $60 for the card and probably another $60/mo for service. I got to thinking (dangerous!) My round trip to town here and about anyplace else I camp is about 40 miles. That’s 2 tanks of gas at $3/gal, or $6. I drive to town to a Hastings bookstore/coffee shop and drop $2 for a large coffee. That’s $8 to use free WiFi! Nuts to that plan. I drive to town 10 times during a long-term stay so that’s $80/mo! When in town I usually find some reason to spend more money and I only get about 10 hours of air-time on the internet.

By going to a dedicated card, I’ll have continuous access, can upload and download files when I want to and I don’t have to go to town unless I want to do something special. Makes sense to me!

I have paid through night 21 so I’ll be leaving here on Weds and will probably head for Leesville Dam SP just north of La Cruces.

Temperatures yesterday were in mid 40’s and a low last night of 21. There is a slight warming trend on its way so mid week it should be in the 60’s with lows in the high 30’s.



12/27/07
This is my first entry for some time! Since Christmas, I have developed a new web site called “www.thepickupcamper.com.” (there is another site called pickupcamper.com, and anticipate being challenged for the closeness of the title at some point in time.)

I now have consistent internet connection since purchasing a Verizon data card in Las Cruces. The website is up and running on a free page through Go Daddy, although I still need to purchase permanent server space. I’ve added Google-Adsense ads to the site and have just signed up and created an ad through Google-AdWords. Put a small amount of money to get it started into the Words account to begin to refine the keywords I have put into the system. I did find it as a sponsor ad about six pages back from the search results page for “camper shell.”

I am currently camped at Caballo State Park about 20 miles south of Truth or Consequences, NM. The temps are cold, low last night was 19, the high today was about 41. Winds are picking up to about 30-40 mph with gusts up to 55 according to the weather channel. I’ve been here 6 days and will probably stay another 4. Then who knows where to next! It’s great…FREEDOM!

I plan on selling an AC/DC power harness for camper shells once I get the details and cost figured out and actually build one for myself. It will use off the shelf parts. I figure I won’t get that many orders so I’ll build them on demand at whatever campsite I’m sitting at when I get an order. I’m also going to see if I can get set up at a place like Home Depot to get discounts on parts to lower my estimated price. Ron gave me a great suggestion. To see if I can get set up as a distributor for flexible solar panels and I can market those including a turnkey system for wiring up a shell. I’ve been researching flexible solar panels and there is one that is a military grade, but the cost is realllly steep!

Also, I plan on marketing designer T-Shirts and license plates with the business logo as well. Attempting to brand my brand. We’ll see what works! Rick may be my “funnel” for getting those items produced but he’s got a lot on his plate right now. I tinkered around with a specialty site to produce your own license plates and some kind of vinyl sign to put on my truck tailgate. Those signs are expensive, some $45 ea.! The plates are about $15 for a single plate with heavy discounts for larger orders. Perhaps I’ll spring for one license plate to see how the system works, collect some ideas from site visitors and come up with several standard plates that would be worth ordering in larger quantities.

Besides staying inside the shell for warmth, there is not much else going on. I’m just really excited to have a consistent internet connection! This is great!

Well, this will do it for now! Take care and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, I hope you had wonderful Holiday's and a great New Year. All here in NC are good.
Todd is great and the kids are wonderful. Miss the pictures. Is everybody else keeping in touch? I am glad you are having a wonderful time and seeing so much of the states that you stop in. I am enjoying seeing them with you. How are you spiritually, mentally and physically. Have you been to meetings abroad? I am inspired by you Todd and I want to travel after the kids are grown and on with their lives. Maybe when we retire, wow that is really staying in the hear and now. LOL. Well I hope you are having a wonderful spiritaul experience and having a great time. We all miss you and love you.

Bill's Excellent Adventure! said...

(this is a duplicate of an email sent to trudi. Thought others might find it interesting.)

TRUDI! This is the third time I've tried to write this! My Yahoo keeps highlighting and copying big blocks of info over and over again! Third time's a charm, right?

You wrote to me at a really good time. I was musing last night whether to pull the plug on my trip and come back home. Just a short moment of self-doubt and depression. There are only a few "neighbors" out here right now given winter. I am staying stationary longer and taking advantage of my annual camping pass for state parks in NM and trying to get through the holiday period without major damage to my budget. I got my check Dec 20th and don't see another one until the 25th of this month. I have been getting lonely and not getting to meetings (sometimes that's a function of being so far out in the boonies and at other times it's just laziness on my part.)

It's cold at night, down into the teens and lower but warms up nicely during the day. The Comfort Stations are anything but comfortable in the winter (no heat and luke warm showers at best) so it's becoming a real challenge to just maintain my personal hygiene. I know for me, if I start letting those things slip I'm heading for trouble. So I have redoubled my efforts at staying cleaned up and shaven!

Now, having said all the negatives, I'll share why I am still out here!

To me, NM is a place of extraordinary beauty. I'm currently at Elephant Butte State Park, a huge lake that probably runs a good 15 miles north to south (if not in a drought, the lake would probably run a good 20 miles.) I'm looking over the lake at short mesas and in the background are mountain ranges, some snow covered. I take a few minutes each evening to just sit and watch the sunsets. The serenity I gain from those few minutes, melts away any negative I have garnered during the day.Took a side trip out into the desert the other day to a place called Engle (never actually found a town. The hard pavement gave way to dirt at the entrance to a huge ranch!), windy and dry and cold, but stopped at a road side marker. The basin is some 100 miles long and the Spanards named the trip from north to south back in 1596 the "Journey of the Dead." Apparently a lot of souls lost their lives making the journey over a 400 year period.

A nice older woman (with her husband are in this loop in their big-ass RV Bus) came over the other day and brought me a bowl of homemade soup! It was such a nice jesture. They were here before I arrived a couple of weeks ago and I assume she was feeling sorry for me!

I tend to stay in the camper shell most of the time and I am quite amazed at how comfortable I am in here. I have electricity, my laptop, wireless data card, my XM radio, my micowave and a space heater. What else does a simple single guy need? I've got my AA readings, several novels, and a new website I've been creating just to keep myself occupied and my brain from freezing up! I use the internet to watch a few TV clips periodically (although I have a small TV, but no reception where I am at now.)

You might say I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for hell to freeze over, or for my next retirement check to hit the bank!

Now, the website links:

Bill's Excellent Adventure!" www.leaguemarketing.com/trip.html
(Don't forget to read the draft of my western novel. It's about 32 pages I think right now. There's a link on the site.)

My new website called "The Pickup Camper." www.thepickupcamper.com
I'm really just messing around trying to learn how to do google advertising! But if you click on the "My Truck Sparky" link you will find photos of my setup. Actually looks more trashy than it seems to look like to me living in it, but you'll get an idea of my so-called "lifestyle." If it appears you should feel sorry for me...don't. It's always a work in progress, just like us in program! Everything has it's place and it works!

I'm having fun just trying to figure out how to do things better. I'm planning on building an AC/DC power harness for the setup and once I get the prototype done plan on offering it for sale and have plans for a modular wood storage system to replace the plastic bins.

I've also attached my Christmas letter in case you didn't get one earlier. It summarizes the hightlights for the NM trip to date.

Besides a few moments of feeling sorry for myself last night, I'm in good spirits. I've tracked down a meeting in nearby Truth or Consequences (locals call it TorC) and will get there tonight. I found out that although I don't mind doing this trip alone, I do need human contact to keep me balanced. I've run across a few guys that have been doing this for 10-15 YEARS! Not sure I can or want to go that long. Five years is my magic number unless a grandchild comes along then I'm off the road.

I've lost about 4-6 inches off the old waist and have purchased new blue jeans twice so far! Been out here 11 months this month.

Take care and stay in touch...it really does mean a lot to hear from the old gang. I'll be back home for April and May then plan on heading into Canada and visit some camping friends I've met, drive across southern Canada and drop down into the Glacier National Park in Montana during the summer months. That's all the pre-planning I am doing...found out I change my mind on a regular basis, in fact I really don't know where I'm going next until the morning I leave! I pull out the old map and figure it out!

It's called "FREEDOM!!"