Grand Teton

Grand Teton
Sinset on Lake Jackson 9/2008

Thursday, October 25, 2007

10/04/07

Today was the day I was to get my cap for the truck. Drove to Albuquerque to Rich Ford. Arrived about 9 am. After some initial confusion I was told my cap had not arrived and that it would be another week before it was ready. Apologies were perfuse as the Accessories guy said he was given wrong information by their contractor. I told him I just drove over 70 miles to get here and that I was pissed although I had a couple of errands to run so the trip was not in vain.

Of course, this delay screws me up. I have already laid a floor in the truck and I needed to get it covered so any rain doesn’t screw up my work and incur more expense. I’ve purchased a drop cloth and duct tape and back at camp, I have sealed up the truck bed to keep water from getting to the carpet and wood flooring. The insulation will not be effected, and the carpet is indoor/outdoor so there should not be any damage to those components. I’ve also cut and dry fit this afternoon the insulation for the sides of the bed and framed out the bed and started screwing a solid bottom in the frame.

It is now Friday AM and I will reload all my other non-essential items and cover them with a tarp as usual. After that I think I will just veg out today in camp and take a short hike. Tomorrow I will drive down to Trinity Bomb site and will probably camp at a state park, Elephant Butte, and spend several days playing tourist in the area.

I am to call back in on Tuesday and find out when the cap is scheduled for delivery. Also found out they will take my truck to the contractor to install and it usually takes a couple of hours.

It did rain last night and I was glad I covered the flooring for protection. The next test is how well the drop cloth survives highway speeds of 70 mph! Hopefully I will have enough weight and distributed well enough to keep any major tearing from occurring.

No comments: