10/01/07
Well…it’s a mixed blessing. Raining lightly and the enriched aroma of Ponderosa Pine. That’s what today offers. Just made lunch and coffee in the tent and now in the truck for a while. The light rain started while I was out on a short trip to the Salt Lakesabout 30 miles to the east. I stopped and took a video of a freight train and of one of the salt lakes. This salt lake, Laguna del Perro is about 20 miles long and is made up of probably 20 different smaller lakes or ponds. The ones I could see from the road were fairly low and several were dry. The Indians used the salt in trade in the region with other tribes.
I’m camped at Red Canyon, one of several campgrounds operated by the Forest Service. Rate is $7/night. I’ve been here since Friday afternoon and I plan to move tomorrow to the Manzano State Park campgrounds, just around the corner (about 3 miles away.) I’ll stay there till Friday after I get the top for the truck on Thursday. I then plan to travel south to the Trinity Atomic Bomb test site which will be open to visitors the first Saturday in October.

No comments:
Post a Comment