5/15/07 Tues - I backed out of the deal for the Winnie this morning. Just too much cost involved for it to make any sense (although I did get an insurance quote come in at $745/yr this afternoon which is only $100/yr more than I pay now. That is acceptable.) Hope springs eternal. No. The deal is dead and buried.
An acquaintance of mine here at the hotel said one way he cuts costs traveling the country is to just stay at road side rest areas likes truckers do and sleep there for free! Sounds intriguing...hum. Let's see, 30 days at $10/night $300/mo in savings, $30 night $900/mo savings. That would give me more for gas (now at $3.25/gal out here.) He drives an older jeep pickup with a shell and sleeps in it when he needs to. That also sounds like a good option with the exception of security. He didn't feel it was any problem as truckers tend not to like intruders, ie, you're safer parking among the truckers.
Just not sure how I want to spend the next several years, in a tent, an RV I can afford, or pickup or minivan. Hotels are becoming too expensive an option to do on a full time basis I am finding out, so I'm looking at other options that will work for me.
Talked to my sons today. Will is getting really frustrated at work with a new Operations Manager in town but I think he'll make it. He had a thought the other day to just leave and come out here and get a job with his company and be with his Dad. I like the thought but told him it needs to be a rational decision void of the emotion of the moment. He also has the creative artistic side he really wants to express so he is feeling the dictotomy of the structure of a job and the sense of personal freedom doing something on his own would provide. If he wants to come out here we can work something out and rent a place for a year and let him get his feet on the ground, catch the spirit of this part of the country and let his creative juices flow. I like this entire region, so I'm game to settle for a while in just about any location.
Chaz seems to be doing okay and keeps his nose to the grindstone at work. He said they were re-roofing the condo he and his mother live in and the racket is keeping him from sleeping during the day. He thought they should be done by the end of today though.
The boys had a nice mother's day with their mom.
I've pretty sure I am going to camp starting tomorrow north of here until the 25th then move on further to the northwest in NM toward the continental divide and the sights to see there.
more later...
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
If you want a good deal and a better camper. Set a goal of 2 months camping in tent now the weahter is better while you look. Talk to and visit the camp places in the area you are in. Ask what they know as far as are there any for sale there or do they know anyone. Check the papers. Pick up a camping book and look in there. The best bet is to find one cheep and have it paide in a few months time.
Like a 3 or 4 thousand dollar one and stay in one place and retar the rooof, paint and redo inside to what you need. You can get lite weight ones that you can pull with the car.
Rather than being tied down to hauling yr house around when you want to sight see or have coffee.
There are some very niced useed ones that are light weight. If you are hauling one by the car you can trade the car in later to get rid of it rather than trade for camper. The drive in ones eat a lot of gas. Pluss if that is all you have when it is broke down in the shop then where will you stay?
I lived in a camper for 5 years. Alone its not bad. You can get a very small one with shower and stove heat and air. Just look very carefully and ask the camp managers or another experianced camper to check out one befor you buy.
If you get a loan for 3 to 5 thou you can pay it off quicker and always use it to trade up later on for a bigger one.
Good advice, Jane! Considering same. I'm giving stuff away lately! Nothing like the voice of experience.
Before you make any decision about the area, Bill, make sure you stay long enough to expereince the seasons. Spring is nice in a lot of places, Summer and winter aren't. (Walking up the 200 steps of the back side of the Hoover dam near the spillways in August at 110 degrees, I thought I was in hell. Dry heat my ass!)
Same would apply to Will. Given the hospitalization, hooked up to ekg's and getting poked repeatedly Wednesday night, I'd remind him: having a job you don't like is better than the stress of no job. (BTW, unemployment here just jumped above the national average. Swell)
Post a Comment